Sunday, February 6, 2011

What if....

Good Monday Morning To You!!! Did the Super Bowl go to suit you? I’m not a Green Bay Packers fan, but I’ll root for anybody over Pittsburgh. My apologies to my Monday Morning friends in Pittsburgh! I’ve been to Green Bay several times in my life as well as Pittsburgh. I’ve met good people in both cities and had memorable experiences in each. First and foremost, being from Cincinnati, I am a Bengals fan. ………….. O K, quit laughing. I support my team in good times and in bad. I’ve seen the bad and can’t wait for the good. Let’s shift our focus to baseball. How about them Reds? Spring training is just a few days away…….

Yesterday was another awesome day at Friendship Harmony. One dear lady came forward and announced that she had received Christ as her Lord and asked to be baptized. We now have five awaiting baptism. What a blessing. We were also introduced to the newest “members” of our Church: a brand new 2011 Roland digital keyboard, and a P.A. set. The piano has a full 88 note keyboard with the action and sound of a grand piano, plus many additional features as well. It sounds awesome and is totally portable. Since we rent space in a secular clubhouse, the portability factor was important to us. The entire piano only weighs 33 pounds and never needs tuning. The P.A. set came as a surprise, but it was sorely needed. Since we have grown like we have, people sitting farthest away were having trouble hearing. Now the piano as well as singers, song leaders, and preachers can be heard just fine. I stand amazed at how God is providing. I am actually experiencing some of my best times in the ministry. If I would have known that starting a new Church was this much fun, I’d have started in my 20’s! Two other new blessings will be introduced next week, but more on those next Monday Morning --- I do not want to spoil the surprise.

Yesterday I began a series of messages titled, “What If…? The idea came from two sources. One was from a long time friend who told me he was dealing with a “what if” question in his life. I do not know about you, but I certainly have wrestled with a few of those in the past. The second source came from a thought on an e-mail. This post said, “It is better to live your life believing there is a God and finding out at death that there isn’t than to live your life believing there is no God and finding out at death that there is.” The LORD led me to develop a sermon called “What If There Is A God?” Rather than making a wordy commentary on what I said, I’ve provided the sermon notes for you. I believe they are self explanatory, but you may feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

What If There Is A God.
Hebrews 11:6
By Victor Cooper
02/04,05/11
Series: What if?

Intro: Someone sent me an e-mail with this quote: “It is better to live your life believing there is a God, only to find out at death there is not than to live your life believing there is no God and finding out at death there is.”

What if…

I. What if … there is no God?
A. Then nothing ultimately matters.
1. We are born, we live, we die and that’s it. The Epicurean philosophy was eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die.
B. Living a Godly life does aid in societal living.
1. It allows us to live with each other in a civilized manner.
C. There is more evidence proving there is a God than proving there is not.
1. It takes more faith to believe there is no God than to believe there is. Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
2. For mankind to have evolved from a single cell would require far too many things going right for far too long against all odds to the contrary.
D. The fact of a creation indicates a creator.

II. What if … there is a God?
A. If there is, we had better get to learning of Him.
How?
B. God has to initiate the education.
How?
C. God must introduce Himself in a written word and through personal presentation.

Deduction ---
D. God introduced Himself through His written word, and through a living Word through the incarnation.
1. In becoming a man God did not subtract His deity; He added His humanity.

III. What if … the written word is in error?
A. Then we slip back to the side that teaches there is no God. Remember: No God means no creation.
Logic
B. If God can create ex nihilo (from nothing),
and if He can speak ex cathedra (with the voice of God), then He can preserve a written word.
1. Not preserving it would totally defeat the purpose of writing it in the first place. Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
2. It cannot be eliminated by man, satan, or time.
3. To eliminate the word you must first eliminate the Creator. Since the Creator is also the sustainer, that becomes an exercise in futility.

Conclusion: Indeed there is a God. He has made Himself known through His word and through His Son Jesus Christ. To know God means to first know Jesus. Do you? Do you know Him personally? Have you received Him through faith and forgiveness?

Don’t forget this coming Sunday at Friendship Harmony. We will formally adopt our constitution and function as a New Testament Church. Our special speaker will be Keith Lancaster from the Florida Baptist Convention. Also with us will be Everett Rafferty from the Royal Palm Association of Baptists located right here in Lee County. Both these men, as well as Jennifer Horton, also from Royal Palm, have provided wise and Godly council during these formative months of our new Church. They have made the experience much easier as they have shared their experiences with new Church starts. Keeping with Baptist tradition, there will be dinner on the grounds afterward. The menu will feature ham, chicken, turkey, and meatloaf (my favorite) as well as delicious side dishes carried in by the best cooks in the world. Plan on being with us for this great day in the life of our infant Church.

Stay safe, healthy, and well. I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!











Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment