Monday, September 26, 2011

A Believer's Heart Trouble

Good day to you.
I trust you had a good week since we last met, and that you are in good health. For me, the last two weeks have been a little out of the ordinary. Bess was dog/house sitting for Sister Brenda Conley who had flown up to Kentucky for her daughter's wedding. Brenda's house is less than ten miles from ours, so I stayed with her about half the time. Then this past Saturday, our men's group met for their monthly fellowship breakfast. I really enjoy my time with them. The fellowship is great, and the food is excellent. If you are ever in this area, I highly recommend The Twisted Lemon Cafe on Pine Island Road in Cape Coral. If you go there and leave hungry, its your own fault. Their portion sizes are more than generous, and the prices are reasonable. Plan to go early in the day as they only serve breakfast and lunch. Be sure to tell them Pastor Vic sent you. They will likely not know me, but I always like sharing information with you about good people.

Yesterday's service at Friendship Harmony was quite enjoyable. Our director of music, Bro. Ken Birdsong played a trumpet duet with his pianist wife Margaret. The did the old hymn, “Nearer my God To Thee.” Maybe I'm prejudiced, and I know I'm bragging, but the music at Friendship Harmony is as good as you will find anywhere. Of all the churches I have pastored, the music at Friendship Harmony is second to none.

The sermon was the second in a series dealing with spiritual heart trouble. This week we examined some symptoms of spiritual heart trouble of a believer. The notes are below.

Symptoms Of Spiritual Heart Trouble Of A Believer
2nd of a series by Pastor Victor Cooper
Proverbs 4:23

To diagnose a believer's spiritual heart trouble:

I. watch his life. Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he...
A. What he is doing comes as a result of the condition of his heart.
B. His words and actions do not agree.
C. Our Text verse from the NLT: Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do.”
1. “Heart” also encompasses one's values. See what a believer values.

II. listen to his speech Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
A. In the first part of the verse, Jesus is affirming what the verses we saw in Proverbs said.
B. In the last section, Jesus says, “...for what is in his heart is going to fly out his mouth.” VCT*
Victorism 2011 “Humility is easy to recognize, and hard to fake.”

III. see his faith. James 2:20, 26 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
A. These verses are a good diagnostic tool.
B. Christianity is about doing. James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
C. Jesus called for followers, ie doing something. Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Next week's message will examine what a good heart looks like. Go out and make it a good week. Search out opportunities to serve your fellow man. In doing so you also serve Christ. How do I know? Read these familiar words of Jesus. And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

I'll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!










Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment