Sunday, May 20, 2012

An Open Door

Good Monday Morning To You!!

This will be an abbreviated visit, because to be honest, I feel lousy. Yesterday morning before I left for church I felt none too good. I had been up since 4:00a.m so I thought I was just tired. As the morning went on, I felt worse with each tick of the clock. By the time it was time to preach, I had nothing left. I breathed one of those emergency, “Lord, please help me do this” prayers. He did, and I was able to deliver the message. When it was time to go home, I could no longer hold my head up. I had a slight fever, and my stomach was churning like a tug boat pushing too heavy a load. When I got home I fell into the bed - clothes and all! Miss Bessie was able to get a few bites of a chicken pot pie down me, but I really had no appetite. Later that evening, about 9:30p.m. I ate a peach, but that didn’t settle well either. All I can say is praise the Lord for berry flavored Tums!

I do want to give you a set of sermon notes for your personal Bible study. It is not what I preached yesterday. Yesterday I used no notes, so please allow me to be a bit lazy and dig into the past for something I believe you can use.

God’s Open Doors
various
Series: God’s Doors By: Pastor Vic Cooper
1 of 4 10/18/08

I. A door of answered prayer Acts 12:16 But Peter continued knocking: and when they had opened the door, and saw him, they were astonished.
A. The Church had been fervently praying for Peter’s release.
B. Rhoda looked through the door, but did not open it.
1. Many children of God look through the door at God’s answer, but do not open the door and seize it.
C. The Church refused to believe her report.
1. “Sadly, many rewards stay out on the porch because we won’t walk through the door God has opened to go get them.” Pastor Vic Cooper

II. A door of utterance Col. 4:3-4 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: [4] That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.
A. This could also be called a door of opportunity.
1. Paul wanted an open door of opportunity.
2. Too many Church members are praying, “Lord, there is my neighbor; send him.”
3. As with the prophet Isaiah, Paul was saying, “Lord here am I; send me.”

III. A door of service 1 Cor. 16:9 (NASB) …for a wide door for effective service has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
A. Paul recognized it as a “wide” door.
1. How wide does the door need to be before we will walk through it?
2. A good burglar only needs the door opened a small crack.
B. Paul also saw it as potential for effective service.
1. How much success must we be guaranteed before we will pass through the wide and open door?
C. Paul knew there would be adversities and adversaries, but he refused to let that stop him.
1. How often do we let even the hint of an adversity hinder us?
8810. Epigram On Overcoming Handicaps
Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.
—Booker T. Washington (Encyclopedia of 15,000 Illustrations)

IV. A door of Heaven John 10:7-9 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. [8] All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. [9] I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
A. Jesus alone is the door to Heaven. Jesus also said, “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6
B. He also said that any other way is the way of “thieves and robbers.” Rev. 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Before I go, let me say the attendance at Friendship Harmony was terrific yesterday. There were several visitors in the service, and we’re always glad to see them. These folk are full time people, so pray the Lord sends them our way.

Have a good and healthy week, and hopefully we can be back on track by then. I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment