Sunday, July 1, 2012

Marshal Victor Cooper Saves The Day!

Good Monday Morning To You. Thanks for letting me drop by for a brief visit. I enjoy our time together! I trust you had a good week, and that all is well. Sit back and have a cup of coffee or a glass of juice with me. Boy, have I got a story to tell you!

First of all, our house is out in the woods. We’re back so far that the Saturday Night Grand Ole Opry doesn’t get here until Tuesday. We share these woods with lots of different critters. There are snakes, bobcats, coyotes, and wild hogs, just to name a few. Most of the time they stay to themselves, but I did have to shoot a snake the other day. Last Thursday night our daughter, Michele, took the boys out at about 10:00 pm. The boys are our two Miniature Schnauzers. After less than thirty seconds she came back in and told us a large animal was out there and she hurried the dogs back in. It was bedtime, so Miss Bessie and I decided we’d take the boys out. She would take the leashed dogs, and I’d take my pistol. I have a western holster hanging on the head of my bed with a loaded .41 magnum in it, just like a good cowboy would. We went out, and sure enough, in the corner of our neighbors yard across the street, was something large. While she handled the boys, I stood facing this beast with the pistol at my side. I locked my eyes on it and stared it down daring it to move. It stood still, but I considered firing a warning shot to scare it off; I was about twenty five yards from it. I decided not to shoot, because I figured it was possibly someone’s dog and was scared and meant no harm. Since it did not seem threatening, I continued to stare it down until Bess, Frazier, and Bubba went into the house. I then very slowly, and with deliberate caution backed up the five steps expecting the creature to lunge. I was glad it ended peacefully. I was also glad the neighbors had their garage light on. It provided enough illumination to see that something was there, but we could not make out what it was.

The next morning, I went out to see if there were tracks of any kind. We live on dirt roads, so tracking is quite easy. There were none. That night we took the boys out again, and “our friend” had returned. He was standing in the same spot. I knew we’d be safe though, because Marshal Cooper had his trusty Smith and Wesson with him. This cowboy is deadly at twenty five yards. Again it ended without incident. Praise the Lord!

On Saturday morning I went out again and there in the daylight I saw our menacing foe. It was a little white yard sign that a fertilizer spraying company had put in their yard. That’s right. Pastor Vic had a stare down with a little, cheap, cardboard sign. Not only that, but as I said, I considered shooting it. Cowboy Cooper was going to shoot the neighbors innocent little paper sign. Needless to say, I had one of those moments where you tell yourself, “You’re an idiot!” What can I say? If you’re ever having trouble with a potential deadly little sign, call me. I’ll keep it at bay and you safe.

Yesterday was another tremendous service at Friendship Harmony. The attendance was good, and it truly was a joy to have been in the house of the Lord. I preached a message titled, “Promise Fulfilled - Guaranteed!" In it I brought a message from an event in the life of Abraham. I gave the following four points: God gave a promise; Faith believed it; Hope anticipated it; and God delivered it. The notes are below. I hope they are a blessing to you.

Promise Fulfilled - Guaranteed!
Various
By Victor Cooper
(adapted-main pts.)
6/7,24,26,30/12

Intro: From the life of Abraham we learn how God’s promises come with guaranteed fulfillment. How did it work for Abraham? We will examine how it worked in his life, and how it can work in yours.

I. God gives a promise. Genesis 17:1-8.
A. v2. “I will make a covenant with you.”
B. vv4-6a “I will make you the father of many nations.” cf.vv20,21
C. v6b “Kings will descend from you.”
D. v7 “Mine is an everlasting covenant.
1. Called unconditional, or unilateral. God is simply saying, “No matter what you do, this is what I will do.”
2. Salvation is an unconditional covenant.
E. What promise (s) has God given you lately?

II. God gives a promise; faith believes it.
Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
A. Sometime the promise seems a bit far fetched.
1. A promised son to a couple beyond child bearing years. Genesis 17:17 Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
2. Abraham’s faith was not the catalyst for righteousness, but was the result of righteousness.
B. Has God’s promises to you become more than an illusion?

III. God gives a promise. Faith believes it. Hope anticipates it.
Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
A. He waited for it. The Greek word means he accepted the fact and expected it.
B. It wasn’t just any city he waited for. He wasn’t going to accept the first one to come along.
Genesis 17:18 And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee!
C. Have you accepted less than God’s promise to you? Have you quit looking altogether?

IV. God gives a promise. Faith believes it. Hope anticipates it. God delivers it.
A. The promise is fulfilled. Genesis 21:2 For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
B. The promise is challenged. Genesis 22:1-2 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. [2] And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

C. The promise is hung on to. Genesis 22:7-8 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? [8] And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
D. The promise pays off.
1. The Jews are a real people descended from Abraham.
2. The Arabs are a real people descended from Abraham.
3. The Messiah is a real person descended from Abraham.
E. Have you seen a promise of God to you fulfilled lately? If not, do you believe it as if it already has?

In closing, let me say that we are still receiving donations for our online video ministry. If you would like to be a part of that outreach, please send your check to Friendship Harmony Baptist Church; 2296 Date Street; St. James City, Florida, 33956. On your check’s “memo” or “for” line, write video. Our treasurer will then know where to direct your gift. Building fund, or general fund gifts should also be marked accordingly. Thank you for helping us with what I believe will be an exciting outreach for our church.

Have a good and a safe week, and I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment