Monday, March 11, 2013

Some Promises From Jesus

Good Monday Morning To You!

What a pleasure it is to get to stop by and visit from week to week. I am so blessed to be able to communicate with you through this blog, and on our YouTube site. I know if Paul the Apostle would have had internet access in his day, he would have taken full advantage of it. Although he did not have it, we do. Because we do, we should use every means available to spread the Gospel. The Bible says in Luke 12:48 … For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required… We in 2013 have been given much. We must give back in return. We give back by using what God has given for His glory. Are you using your gifts and talents for Him? The story is told of a young clerk in a dry goods store who was converted to Christianity. He was taught the concept of tithing. He was told that you give a tenth of your income to God, and the other ninety percent you keep for yourself. The boy did not think this was fair. He felt it was more proper to give God the ninety percent and keep the tenth for himself. The young man was true to his word. His name? J. C. Penney. Need I say more?

Yesterday was an awesome day at Friendship Harmony. The congregational singing was such a tremendous blessing. Someone asked me a while back if we had a choir at our Church. I told them we certainly did. I told them our whole Church was the choir. Our folks really know how to, “raise the roof.”

The message came from John chapter 14. Although I love the entire word of God, John 14 is especially dear to me. In this chapter are many promises from Jesus. I cited three of those promises in the message, but in the actual sermon notes there are seven. I preached three of them, but on the notes I will give you below, you will find all seven. To preach all seven would have required a ninety minute message. I am not the kind of preacher who could hold a person’s attention that long. I’m simply not that good. I don’t even try to be. I enter the pulpit as a man who loves to preach and simply is who he is. I learned a long time ago that I cannot be anyone else but Vic Cooper. Here are those notes. The video should be posted by tomorrow afternoon and can be seen by going to www.youtube.com. From their home page, type in Friendship Harmony Baptist Church then select the message, "Some Promises From Jesus.

Some Promises From Jesus
selected from John 14
Victor Cooper
delivered 3/10/13


I. The promise of a future home. John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
A. Mansion or room?
1. room - RSV; NIV; NLT
2. dwelling place - NAS; NRS
3. mansion - KJV; NKJV; ASV; YLT
B. Which ever, it’s a place of constant fellowship with the LORD, so it’s all good.
C. John gives us a description in Revelation 21:1-22:5.

II. The promise of a face to face meeting with Him. John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
A. Your glorified body will allow you to see Him in all His glory.
1. If you’re blind in this life, don’t worry about it; you will see Jesus!
2. If you’re poor in this life, don’t worry about it; you will see Jesus!
3. If you’re nothing by this world’s standards, don’t worry about it; you will see Jesus!
B. Job believed it. Job 19:27a Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another…
C. Paul believed it. 1 Cor. 13:12a For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:
D. Mrs. Breck in 1927 believed it. She wrote: “Face to face with Christ my Saviour, Face to face what will it be - When with rapture I behold Him, Jesus Christ who died for me?”

III. The promise of serving Him mightily. John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
A. Greater works than Jesus??? The apostles would not necessarily do more stupendous miracles than Jesus did (e.g., feeding 5,000) but their outreach would be greater (e.g., Peter in one sermon had 3,000 converts). This was possible because Jesus had gone to the Father and had sent the Spirit. Miracles are important, but some evangelists have done even greater things than these by preaching the good news to many thousands of people. Bible Knowledge Commentary
B. “What are you doing for Jesus? I challenge each of us to ask ourselves, then God that question. Then be still and wait on His response.” Pastor Vic Cooper

IV. The promise of supplied need. John 14:13-14 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
A. Paul testified, “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philip. 4:19
B. Notice, Paul taught supplied need. need> Gk. chreia>requirement
C. Jesus promise is not a blank check.
1. Jesus is not a cosmic Santa Clause.
2. His promise to supply your need is so that, “…the Father may be glorified in the Son.” v.13
D. Jesus taught us to, “…seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” Matthew 6:33

V. The promise of earthly companionship with God.
A. The Holy Spirit is God. 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
His divinity is established (1) from the fact that the names of God are ascribed to him and (2) that divine attributes are also ascribed to him: omnipresence, omniscience, omnipotence, and eternity. (3) Creation is ascribed to him, and the working of miracles. (4) Worship is required and ascribed to him. Easton’s 1897 Bible Dictionary
B. The Holy Spirit is real; He is referred to as a person.
His personality is proved (1) from the fact that the attributes of personality, as intelligence and volition, are ascribed to him. He reproves, helps, glorifies, intercedes. (2) He executes the offices peculiar only to a person. The very nature of these offices involves personal distinction.
Easton’s 1897 Bible Dictionary

VI. The promise of peace. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
A. peace> Gk. eirene (I ray’ nay)> by implication, rest; quietness
1. Peace, here, is not the absence of strife. That’s called Heaven. Jesus said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
2. “Peace means you can sleep beside Jesus during the storm.” Pastor Vic Cooper
B. What is wrong with the peace the world gives?
1. The world can’t give something it doesn’t have.
a. The peace that means the absence of strife is not something the world possesses.
b. The peace that Jesus spoke of, eirene, quietness and rest, is not something the world possesses.

VII. The promise of rejoicing. John 14:28 Ye have heard how I saidunto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
A. Jesus staying meant the Holy Spirit could not come.
B. Jesus staying meant the promises He had just made could not be fulfilled.
C. Jesus going to the Father meant they could one day go as well.

Do you have a question that I can answer from Scriptures? Each week I will attempt to answer a question or two submitted from you, the fine readers of this Monday Morning Blog. E-mail your questions to fhbcsjc.com. If you would prefer a private, non public response, that is fine too.

Before I say goodbye, could I ask your help with something? As you know we are in week five of a six week building fund campaign. I set a challenge goal of $5000. To date we are less than $1600 from reaching our goal. Would you consider sending a gift of any size to help us one day buy land and erect a building? Your gift is tax deductible and can be mailed to Friendship Harmony Baptist Church; 2296 Date Street; St. James City, Florida, 33956. We thank you for whatever you can do.

Pray for me as I continue to prepare next Sunday Morning’s message titled “Holy Living.“ We will discuss what it means and how to do it. In the meanwhile, have a safe and healthy week, and I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment