Sunday, November 24, 2013

You Need To Hide Your Scriptures

Good Monday Morning To You1

I hope your past week was one where you felt blessed and some good memories were made to be re-lived again at some point in the future. I had an experience last Monday evening that I have got to share with you. As most of you know I am teaching a class on ancient civilizations at a Bible College in Southwest Florida. This semester we have studied Egypt, Israel, and Rome. Unlike some professors, I do not give a mid-term exam. I assigned a mid-term project. The project has the weight of an exam which is 40%. On the first night of class I told the students they could choose from any civilization we would be studying and to do a project of their choosing depicting life in that country. I told them if they could draw, a picture would do, or if they could sculpt, a sculpture would be great. I told them if they could sew, a garment would be acceptable, or if they cooked, an ancient dish could be brought in to share with the class. I told them to let themselves be guided by their imaginations. Last Monday night must have been a welcome to Egypt night because that is what they each choose. It would be too lengthy to tell what each student did, but I can tell you food ruled the night. One lady did her report on pyramids and even came dressed in headgear similar to what would have been worn by Cleopatra, Egypt’s last Pharaoh. One man found a 4000 year old recipe for nut covered dates. I do not like dates, but this Egyptian sweet treat was delicious. We are having snacks after our Christmas Eve service, and Miss Bessie and I might bring some. Two ladies joined forces and brought in an Egyptian bean dip and pita bread. It was a bit spicy, but very good. This dish is still enjoyed in Egypt today. One young lady, however, did a science experiment as her project. She performed the mummification on an apple. She cut the apple in half, and using the same ingredients and processes used in ancient Egypt, she performed that ancient embalming on the apple. When she unwrapped it, she too was seeing the the end result for the first time. The only word I can use to describe it is “phenomenal.” The highest grade I could give her was a 100, but believe me I would have given her a 1000 if I could! Each student learned more than I could teach by researching for their own project, then seeing others show and explain theirs. To me, it’s all about education - even the tests. I do not care as much about grades as I do about learning. It was one of the most enjoyable evenings I have had in a long time. It is definitely a memory I hope to re-live for years to come. A good friend of mine was a long time professor of geography at Central Michigan University, and he wanted me to let him know how the project/exam idea worked out. Burt, it was fantastic!!

Yesterday at Friendship Harmony was awesome. We always have a good service, but yesterday was a notch up from most. The attendance was good and everybody really got into the singing. This was one service that will definitely get me through the remainder of the week. Along with a Sunday Morning service, we have a small group Bible study on Tuesday evenings at 6:30p.m. We are looking into the Book of Romans. It is a tremendous treat to pastor a church where people love God, love each other, and keep to the Scriptures!

The message title was “Honor The Word By Hiding The Word.” It was taken from Psalm 119:11 which says, “Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee.” The message was to celebrate Bible Sunday. The notes are below and you can see the video on Tuesday morning at www.facebook.com/friendshipharmony. Remember, you do not have to have a Facebook account to see the video. Let me know what you think of the videos. I hope these notes are beneficial to you.

Honor The Word By Hiding The Word ©
Psalm 119:11
By Victor Cooper
11/20-23/13

Intro: My calendar calls today “Bible Sunday.” It seems appropriate to have a day to honor God’s word, although the day would be better served as the day we celebrate the fact that we have honored the Bible all year.
Hiding God’s word is to shield and protect it, hence to us it is something of great value; something we can honor.

I. We honor God’s word by letting it comfort us.
A. The Psalmist asks a question.
Psalm 119:82 Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying, When wilt thou comfort me?
B. The Apostle Paul gives him his answer.
Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
C. The Bible tells us of a better life in Heaven.
Revelation 21:1-6 {lengthy, read from Scriptures}

II. We honor God’s word by letting it condemn us.
John 15:2-4a Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. [3] Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. [4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
A. “Bearing fruit” is living a live that gives evidence of conversion.
B. Our text verse says, “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
Psalm 119:11
!. The logic is that when we do sin, the word brings it to light.
C. Condemnation is good. Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
1. The Biblical admonition is our way of life because it shines the light on the safe path.
(a) For the sinner because it shows him his need of Jesus and…
(b) … because it lights the safe path to Christ.
(1) It is the safe path because the world offers many paths to God, but Scriptures only point to one: Jesus

III. We honor God’s word by letting us consume us.
Illustration: What if we treated our Bible the way we treat our cell phone? What if we …

… carried it with us everywhere?
… turned back to get it if we forget it?
… checked it for messages thorough out the day?
… used it in case of an emergency?
… spent an hour or more using it everyday?
… refused to go to sleep unless it is checked one more time?
A. Psalm 119:133 Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.
1. If you are consumed by the word, sin will have no dominion over you.

On behalf of the entire Cooper family, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Be sure to be thankful for all God has blessed you with. I know you will. I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment