Sunday, January 5, 2014

BAPTIZED!!!

Good Monday Morning To You!!

As I find myself inching closer and closer to another birthday, I can’t help thinking back to younger days. For some reason, I have been thinking about the time I fell into a pond in a park in Cincinnati. The pond had a brick wall surrounding it about 24 inches high. People would sit on the wall and enjoy the beauty of the park. I was about five years old at the time, and I was on the wall running on top of it. I remember hearing my mom tell me to get down because I might fall, when suddenly she was right --- splash! I fell in. The pond was probably only about three feet deep, but to a skinny little kid (yes Bill Wolfe, I was skinny once) it was as deep as an ocean. It was a man made pond with a concrete bottom. There were large goldfish swimming around me, and I remember the quiet. There was not a sound - it was so peaceful. My entire time in the water probably only lasted a few seconds, but I can recall looking up where I noticed a man sticking his hand into the water. The man pulled me out and put me on dry ground. Although I remembered the underwater excursion to be pleasant, it left me with a fear of the water which I carry with me to this day. I cannot stand the thought of my head being under water. I am not bothered by a shower, but being in any body of water where I can go under terrifies me.

Remember, I am a Baptist. I have been a Baptist since birth, so I knew how they planned to baptize me. Believe me, it almost made a Presbyterian out of me! I believe God has a purpose in all things, and I always wondered what good could ever come from being so afraid of the water. In 1977 I learned the answer. I was serving as pastor at a church in Grant County, Kentucky where three boys, all brothers, were saved. Two of the three were anxious to be baptized, but the middle brother wanted nothing to do with it. I called him aside and asked him why. He told me he was afraid of the water and didn’t want his head to go under. I told him I knew exactly what he was talking about, and that I too shared his fear. I asked him if he would trust me. I told him it would be very fast and that I would not let him go. He looked up at me and said, “I trust you. You understand.” The boy was baptized along with his brothers, and he was glad he was. I’m glad the LORD used me to help that young man work his way through his fear. I do not know if the young man, now in his late 40’s, ever got over his fear of the water, but I imagine he has not. He was, however, able to honor God, just as I was, and follow the Lord in baptism.

What an awesome day we had at Friendship Harmony yesterday! Our attendance was terrific with the addition of many of our winter visitors. More will be arriving within the next few weeks, and it is always good to see them. One lady, Eleanor McDonnel, has graciously agreed to lead our congregational singing. She is a wonderful singer, and we are so blessed to have her and Alan with us. These fine folks are from Canada.

Speaking of singers, this coming Sunday, January 12, Dustin Jenkins, from Nashville, Tennessee will be singing for us. Dustin will be singing in the 10:00 a.m. service. If you are anywhere in the area, be sure to come by and join us. After the service, we will enjoy a carry in fellowship meal. The church will provide pulled pork bar-b-que, and each of us will carry in something to make for a great meal. I hope you can be with us.

The sermon notes are below, and you can view the video on Tuesday. To watch it, go to www.facebook.com/friendshipharmony. The video should be posted by Tuesday morning. Remember, you do not need a Facebook account to see the video. Here are the notes.

Compared With The Tabernacle ©
Numbers 9:15,16
01/04/14
By Victor Cooper

Intro: From the tabernacle, Israel’s house of worship in their wilderness journey, we see a picture of believers as tabernacles. The question becomes, in what condition is the tabernacle?

I. The tabernacle was completed. Exodus 39:32 Thus was all the work of the tabernacle of the tent of the congregation finished: and the children of Israel did according to all that the Lord commanded Moses, so did they.
A. God doesn’t half do anything; He completes!
Philip. 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
B. Salvation was the beginning.
1. This first step cannot be avoided. God will absolutely not live in the heart of an unsaved individual.
Numbers 1:51b …And when the tabernacle is to be pitched, the Levites shall set it up: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death.
C. Salvation is the first part of the sanctification process. Salvation says an individual has been saved from sin’s penalty.

II. The tabernacle was dedicated.
Numbers 7:88b-89 …This was the dedication of the altar, after that it was anointed. [89] And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak with him, then he heard the voice of one speaking unto him from off the mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two cherubims: and he spake unto him.
A. This life is a believer’s dedication.
Numbers chapter 7 has 89 verses which describe in detail the process of the dedication of the tabernacle It was explicate.
B. This is the second part of sanctification. Dedication says a saved individual is being saved by God’s power.
C. The amount of power sin has over a believer speaks volumes about his/her level of dedication.
1. Sin has all the power it’s given.

III. The tabernacle was filled by God’s presence.
Exodus 40:34-35 Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. [35] And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
A. God’s presence was so real that Moses could not enter the tabernacle.
B. In your flesh, you could never stand in God’s presence. 2 Corinthians 5:21
1. On the cross, Jesus was, “made to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
2. When Jesus was made to be sin, God turned His back on the sight. In God’s holiness, He cannot look upon sin.
C. The third and final part of sanctification is called, “glorification.” It says a believer will be saved from sin’s presence.
1. Glorification comes when the believer enters into Heaven
2. This final part cannot be achieved without parts one and two are accomplished in the proper order.

Have a good and a safe week. If you will be traveling the roads to get here to southwest, Florida, please be careful. The interstates will be loaded with other like minded people. If you are one of our faithful readers who are staying put this winter, thank you for being a part of Friendship Harmony through this blog and the video ministry. If the blog and video is a blessing to you, be sure to tell others about us. Take care of yourself, and I pray 2014 holds nothing but good things for you and your family.

I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment