Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cold milk with pastor Vic

Good Monday morning to you once again! Pour yourself a cup of coffee or a glass of juice and we can enjoy it together. I believe I'll have a glass of milk. Can any of you remember milk from the farm? I grew up a city boy from Cincinnati, but my aunt and uncle, Margie and Ed Blevins, lived outside London, Kentucky in a community called Swiss Colony. We would go there and visit each summer. Theirs was a rural community where farmers still milked cows and sold the milk fresh. I remember going with my aunt Margie up the road about a mile to purchase some milk. The man sold her two gallons in large glass jars. It was fresh - about four hours from the cow. I even got to meet the cow and pet her. To a city boy, this was a treat given only out of God's grace. She also bought butter and eggs and boy what a breakfast we had! To this day milk is my drink of choice. Unlike farm milk, I now drink 1%. I've learned to tolerate it, but what I'd give for another glass of good cold right from the farm, fresh from the cow, loaded down with cream, milk. And please, do not put mine in plastic - I still say glass is best. Yum!

My Sunday morning message was "Salt and Light." It came from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. The text can be found in Matthew 5:13-16 where Jesus tells believers they are salt and light. Notice, He did not say we should be or are to be, but that we are. Salt and light are both beneficial to man kind. Salt adds flavor, acts as a preservative, and heals wounds. As Christian salt we add flavor to this world: we improve it. This world in which we live is at least tolerable due to the Judaeo-Christian influence. We act as a preservative because we, through the Holy Spirit, are what is holding this world together. Take the believers out of this world and you have a chaos known as tribulation. You certainly do not want to stick around for that! As salt, we heal spiritual wounds by pointing those poisoned by sin to the only cure, our Lord Jesus Christ.

As light, we are actually reflectors for that Greater Light, Jesus. We are not to let our light become obstructed - it becomes useless. I told you I was a city boy from Cincinnati. Cincy sits on seven hills. At night there are places where you can see the city lights for miles and miles: it is a very beautiful sight. The light is unobstructed and it leaves no doubt that there is a large city there. As believers our light is to shine as to leave no doubt that we love and serve Jesus. It is so that others can see our good works (as salt and light), and glorify our Heavenly Father. (v16)

If the light is obstructed, it is of no value. If the salt looses its saltiness, the only thing it is good for is to be walked on, and God never calls His children to be a doormat for this world. If you are a born again believer, you ARE salt and light. How good is the salt in your shaker? How clean are the reflectors of your life?

Last week I mentioned our little puppy Frazier. He sure has brought a lot of joy into our lives. He is a 7 month old miniature schnauzer. He is a handful, I must confess. As a matter of fact, I have decided at the age of 56 he is my last puppy. I'm having trouble keeping up! This little dude is keeping me active just trying to follow him around. Bess is teaching him tricks: he can sit, shake, lay, and come. They are still working on roll over and catch. Dog experts say roll over is tough, but that they can learn it.

The poor dog has also had to learn all his names. Bess calls him "Freddie Fray." Shelly calls him "Little Mister" and Kevin calls him "Freezer." I call him "Fray-Fray" and off hand I can't recall what Jason calls him, but you can be assured it is anything but Frazier. Some of his other names are "Frazier No!" "Frazier Quit!" "Frazier, get out of there!" Oh the joys of living with a puppy! Actually, we thank the Lord for sending him into our lives. He is such a treat. Maybe next week I'll have Shelly post a picture of him. I do not know how to do such as that. She has tried to teach me, but do you remember that old saying about teaching old dogs???

I do hope you have a fantastic week. Be sure to let me hear from you. It's kinda nice when someone talks back. You can send me an e-mail or scroll down to the bottom of this blog and click on comments. I enjoy what you have to say. My e-mail address is preachercooper@hotmail.com. Its been good chattin' with you, and I look forward when we get together again on Monday Morning With Pastor Vic.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment