Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Must Be Adopted!

Good Monday Morning to you,

My how the week flew by. It seem like just moments ago that I told you how much I liked Daylight Savings Time and how much my Dad, Howard Cooper, did not. My mom, Alene, it turns out, doesn’t like it either. I always thought I was adopted. Both my parents like seafood - I do not. They like to eat greens - me, no way. They even like liver! Oh mercy!!! We do have some similarities though. The three of us like a bowl of soup beans (pinto beans just so the city folk know) a hunk of cornbread, and a tall glass of buttermilk. I’ve even seen my dad pour a little bit of dill pickle juice in his beans. I’ve tried this and still do it from time to time. It’s good.

Yesterday I began a new sermon series called Jesus Our … The topic was Jesus our Shepherd. We talked about how there are only two sheepfolds: Christ’s and satan’s. I tried to point out how the benefits of belonging to Jesus far exceeded anything satan had to offer and that the eternal benefits are beyond compare. Some of you English scholars may be wondering how come I am not capitalizing the proper name “satan.” There are two reasons: first, there is nothing proper about him. Next, he does not deserve to have his name capitalized, rules of grammar or not. I’m part of Christ’s sheepfold; I owe satan nothing, least of all respect. The sermon notes are below; feel free to use them for your personal Bible study. You preachers and teachers may feel free to use them as well if they suit your needs.

Jesus Our Shepherd
John 15:13
Jesus Our….. Series By Victor Cooper
03/15,16/11
Intro: Today we begin a series of messages focusing on what Jesus is to us, or could be to you if you have not yet received His love and pardon. We will examine such topics as Jesus Our Shepherd, Jesus our Preacher, Jesus our Teacher, Jesus our Savior and Jesus our LORD.

I. Jesus is our Good Shepherd.
A. Does Jesus refute that claim? Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
1. Good >agathos> intrinsically good; good from within
2. Jesus is good from within as only God is. Therefore, He is God.
3. He was waiting for the rich young ruler to acknowledge that He was God.
4. The young ruler had his hand on the doorknob of Heaven’s gate, but would not turn it and go in.
B. In John chapter 10, twice Jesus did claim to be the Good Shepherd. Here “good” is kalos; valuable, virtuous.
1. How good? The 23rd Psalm answers that question.

II. He is our Gentle Shepherd.
A. “Gentle,” speaking of God, is ep-ee-I kace’. It means mild, patient.
B. Our Patient Shepherd in Romans 15:5 is called “… the God of patience…”
1. One adjective concerning God is longsuffering, ie long patience. “patience with joy”
example: When I taught my son to ride a bike. It took many attempts, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

III. He is our Gracious Shepherd.
A. The word “grace” is used 168 times in the KJV.
B. Grace is receiving from God that which you do not deserve.
1. Mercy is not receiving from God that which you do deserve.
C. Our salvation came through grace. Acts 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

D. Our Christianity is lived through grace.
2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

IV. He is our Glorified Shepherd.
A. He is with the Father.
Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
B. He is coming again. Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Conclusion: Is He your Shepherd or do you belong to another sheep fold? Make sure you know for sure before you leave this building this morning!

Delivered to The Friendship Harmony Baptist Church 3/20/11/ 10:00a.m. service

I do hope the notes are of benefit to you. If you would ever like to discuss them, or have any questions, I’d be most happy to talk with you. Feel free to phone me, or use E-mail if you’d like. My e-mail is
preacher cooper@hotmail.com. Today is the first full day of spring. I hope your springtime is all you want it to be. Don’t forget to enjoy every day God gives you. I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment