Monday, January 30, 2012

Crowns Awarded by Christ

Good Monday Morning To You!

It is truly my honor to get to visit with you each week. Yesterday when I asked in church how many read this blog, quite a few indicated they did. I was so very pleased. The “rule” of blogging says that in my first paragraph I need to speak of something personal. Many times I don’t know what to say because my life is pretty boring. Last week was an exception though. On Saturday Bess and I were invited to Bill and Patty Wolfe’s house for game day. Normally about twice a month or so a bunch of us from the church get together for a time of fun and fellowship. The meeting time was 2:00 and Bess kept stalling me. She dragged at home; she insisted I stop at the post office, then the library to return a book. By the time we arrived (ten minutes late) I was fuming. At that time there was nothing ministerial about me. I walked in and a large crowd had turned out for games. They yelled, “Surprise!” I was clueless. I thought they were saying, “Look how many of us showed up for games.” Then they started singing Happy Birthday, and briefly I wondered who they were singing to. I almost joined in the singing. Thankfully, before I made a clown of myself, the Lord revealed to me they were singing to me. I could not believe it. Normally, surprising me is pretty difficult. This time, however, I was totally in the dark until the moment arrived. There were 27 who were able to be there, and I really enjoyed my day. Yes, I even forgave Miss Bessie for holding me up. She needed to get me there a few minutes late so that everyone else could get there. They even hid all the cars. It was one of those rare moments when I was absolutely speechless. To all who were there, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. To the ladies who brought food, I’m grateful. To Bill and Patty, “thank you” for opening your home. I will never forget the day as long as I live. To Miss Bessie, thank you for riding in a car with a preacher who had murder on his mind. This is how the congregation of Friendship Harmony is; warm loving people who truly enjoy each other’s company.

The service yesterday was awesome. The congregational singing was Holy Spirit anointed and very uplifting. We are a traditional Church that still sings the old songs. We even yet use hymnals. Believe me when I tell you, the folks at Friendship Harmony can sing. Ken Birdsong, our director, chooses soul stirring songs, and knows how to get the best from us. We have never yet had a boring, ho-hum service at FHBC. What a blessing!!! The message was a continuation of The Judgment Seat of Christ. Last week I preached about what believers will experience after the rapture. I said that each Christian will stand before the Lord, but this will be a good judgment – it is for rewards. If you were not there, or did not get last weeks notes, scroll down to the previous blog. This week we talked about what the rewards were: crowns. These crowns are like those sought after by ancient athletes who participated in the Olympic games of that day. They were a crown of leaves. The modern day equivalent would be the medals or trophies. The only difference is that our crowns are permanent while theirs perished in just a few short days. The sermon notes are below. I hope they assist you in your study of God’s word.

Crowns Awarded By Christ
Various
By Victor Cooper
1/27,28/12

Intro: At the judgment seat of Christ, rewards will be given. These rewards are called crowns.

I. The Incorruptible Crown 1 Cor. 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
A. Paul uses an athlete’s training as his comparison.
B. Athletes in Paul’s day wanted to win a crown – a head dress of leaves.
C. Jesus Himself awards the crowns. 2 Cor. 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
1. Remember, good or bad is useful or useless

II. The Crown of Righteousness. 2 Tim. 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
A. This crown is not just for giants of the faith, but all who are awaiting His coming.
B. This crown is a recognition for those who are already righteous.
1. Remember, the Judgment Seat of Christ is for believers ONLY.
C. Paul is not afraid to stand in judgment before the Lord.

III. The Crown of Life. James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
A. As with the Crown of Righteousness, this is a crown of recognition. Those receiving it already have etertnal life.

IV. The Crown of Glory. 1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
A. This is also called the Minister’s crown.
B. Peter in chapter 5 is speaking to pastors.


Next week I will be preaching about what to do with those crowns both in the life to come and this life. If you are here in beautiful, sunny, warm, south-west Florida, I hope you can be with us. (I added those adjectives for those of you up north. Sorry!) If not, those will be posted here.

Don’t forget that we need both men and women for our visitation teams. If you would like to take part, or learn more about it, we will meet next Sunday Morning after the worship service. If you know of someone who would benefit from a visit, please let me know. Take care of yourself and I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment