Monday, April 16, 2012

Thank You Ken and Margaret

Good Monday Morning To You.

I hope this blog finds you doing well and staying healthy. It is with a twinge of sadness that I write to you today. Our music director, Ken Birdsong, and his wife and our piano player, Margaret, announced their intention to retire as active church music leaders. Their last Sunday with us will be April 29. Ken has been serving as a minister of music for the past 55 years, these past 24 with Margaret. In a prepared statement Ken said, “The Book of Ecclesiastes reminds us that ‘for everything there is a season…’ We now feel that our ‘season’ has come full circle and it is time for us to retire from church music. We do not know what God has in store for us, but we feel He will meet us there.” I asked Ken if he was absolutely certain this was the LORD’s will for their lives and he assured that theirs was not a snap decision, but had been prayed over for a long time. I want all of you in the center of God’s will, and that includes Ken and Margaret. If the Lord is telling them to step aside, then step aside they must. I respect their decision, but I will miss their fellowship and their music. I also believe that since God led them in their decision, He will lead someone else to us. I’m excited to see what the Lord has for us!

Yesterday’s service was another Friendship Harmony experience. We had super attendance and you could feel the Holy Spirit flowing through the crowd. I announced to the group that next Sunday I would be beginning a new sermon series on the Parables of Jesus. I have already started my sermon study, and I can’t wait to get started sharing with the congregation. The first sermon title is “The Unforgiving Forgiven Man.” It comes from Matthew 18:21-35. In his great book on Jesus’ parables, William Barclay titled it, “Even As I Had Pity On Thee.” If you would like a good study book on the parables, Mr. Barclay’s book in titled, And Jesus Said, and is published by The Westminster Press. You should be able to get it from your local Christian bookstore, or online. If your local store does not have it, I’m sure they can get it. It is a very good book and you will be blessed as you learn. Yesterday’s message was “The Blessing of the Christ.” This message was a prequel to next week’s message. Next week I’ll elaborate a bit more on some of the points made yesterday. Below are the notes. There may be a few things that are confusing to you. All points are verified by Scripture, and next week’s notes will go into more detail. When I preach, I also want to teach. My philosophy toward preaching is simple: a message should both teach and inspire. I try to avoid teaching people what they already know.

Back in 1977 I was “accosted” by two Morman missionaries. At that time I had only been preaching for five years. The Mormons soon learned that I was un-convertible, but informed me that they got many of their converts from the Baptist Church. His exact words were, “Most Baptists know just enough about their own religion to be confused.” I made God a promise that day. I told Him, “They might get their converts from the Baptist Church, but they’ll not get them from mine. At least not from a lack of teaching.” I have stuck with that plan ever since. Enjoy the notes and feel free to use them in your own Bible study, or your lesson/sermon preparation.

The Blessing Of The Christ
Various Scriptures


I. Christ came to earth to be the Saviour.
1 Tim. 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
A. The world needed a Saviour.
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
B. Man could not save himself.
Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
C. The law could not save man.
Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

II. Christ came to earth to be man’s substitute.
Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

For those of you who believe in physical healing as from Christ (as I do), this is not the verse to quote to validate your belief. The healing spoken of here is spiritual, not physical. There are other verses more suited to back up belief in physicial healing.

A. Sin is a breaking of God’s law.
B. God cannot forgive the breaking of His law.
It must be judged and paid for.
C. The payment must be paid in full. The penalty must be paid by one who is sinless. That is all God can accept.
1 John 2:2 with 1 John 4:10 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [4:10] Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1. Propitiation -- God’s satisfaction.
D. We will go into more detail next week as we begin our Parables of Christ Series.

III. Christ came to earth to become the Mediator between God and man. Hebrews 8:6-9 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. [7] For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. [8] For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: [9] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
A. The old covenant was flawed. v.7
B. Q. Why would God give them a flawed covenant (promise)?
A. Who said God ever gave anybody a flawed anything?
C. Man flawed the covenant, V.9
D. therefore a Mediator was needed to enact a new covenant and bring both parties (God and man) together.

Conclusion: Christ’s first coming was and is a blessing to all who receive His offer of grace and mercy.
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

I hope you have a good, safe and healthy week. Drop me a line when you can. I love hearing from you. My e-mail is
preachercooper@hotmail.com.

By the way, for those of you who are still here with us, this coming Tuesday at 1:00, our Ladies Luncheon will be held at The Island Grill at the Winn Dixie Plaza. All of you ladies are invited. If you should happen to have company, that lady is welcome to come too. Later that evening at 6:30p.m. our local association of Southern Baptist Churches, The Royal Palm Baptist Association will have its semi annual meeting at the Cyprus Lake Baptist Church in Ft. Myers. Each of you is invited to attend, and I especially encourage our elected messengers to attend.

I’ll see each of you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment