Monday, August 20, 2012

The Eyes Have It!

Good Monday Morning To You. I trust your last week was good, and that all is well with you. I am feeling fine, but about the only excitement I had last week was a visit to the eye doctor. You know you’re getting older when doctor visits are the highlights of the week. I did get a great report though. He said I definitely needed a new prescription, but that there were no signs of problems with my eyes. He wants to follow up in one year to make sure it stays that way. I received the best eye exam of my life - so extremely thorough. If you live here in Southwest Florida, or are a winter visitor, let me recommend Dr. Thomas Quigley to you. Never have I been so impressed. I did not feel rushed, and I was made to feel very comfortable with the entire process; by that I mean from the moment I entered their building until I went on my way. They made me part of the process, and made me feel like I was the reason they were there. I want to thank them for such a fine experience. If you need a good eye doctor, go see doctor Quigley or one of his associates. Be sure to tell them Pastor Vic sent you.

One thing I brought to Dr. Quigley’s attention was that when I do any close reading, I have to take off my glasses in order to see. I told him I wanted that problem corrected. He took off his glasses and looked over at the computer screen, read a moment, then said, “I suffer from that too. That’s just how it is. It can’t be fixed. It’s just that we’re getting older." Older? Me? It can't be --- I'm too young! However, I have discovered that getting older sure beats NOT getting older. Billy Graham wrote a book called, Nearing Home. It is a good, encouraging book. Get yourself a copy and read it no matter what your age.

We had a good day at Friendship Harmony yesterday. We sang some of the old camp meeting songs from days gone by. What a blessing they were. It was fun getting to hear them again. The morning message was a continuation of The Book of Jude. In the verses we examined, Jude starts to sum it all up with what I called, “The Great Contrast.” He points out the contrast between believers and non believers. He uses the key word: "remember." He points out three things: Remember we were warned; Remember what they (the false teachers) are: Remember to be different. The notes are below. I hope you find them useful in your own Bible study. Please bear in mind you are always free to contact me if you ever have any questions or comments.

The Great Contrast ©
Jude v 17-23
Encouragement From Jude Series
8/18/12
By Victor W. Cooper

Intro: In these verses, Jude concludes with his summation. He tells the Church to not be surprised by these people because warnings have been given, what to look for, and how to live a life in contrast to apostasy.

I. Remember you were told! V17, The word means more than a simple opposite of forget. It means, “get it fixed in your mind.” Today we would say, “Bear this in mind.”
A. The Apostles had given a warning.
1. Paul told the Ephesians,
(Acts 20:29-30) For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. [30] Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
2. Peter bluntly warned, Peter 2:1) But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
3. In v. 18, Jude quotes Peter. 2 Peter 3:3-4 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, [4] And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
4. Jude himself had reminded them of the words of Enoch, Isaiah, and Jeremiah.

II. Remember what they are! VV 18,19
Jude 1:18-19 (NIV) They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." [19] These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.
A. Mockers/scoffers The original Greek word for “mockers” literally meant “false teachers.” They would make fun, then teach their truth.
1. A dangerous catch phrase they use: “Here is what God said, but here is what God meant.”
2. Response: God meant what He said because God does not bluff.
B. “… walk after their own desires…”
Their own unsaid motto: “It’s all about me.”
C. They cause division in the Church.
D. They are led by the flesh, not the Spirit.
Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Adam Clarke Commentary “…the Spirit of God is the great agent here below, to enlighten, quicken, strengthen, and guide the true disciples of Christ; and all that are born of this Spirit are led and guided by it; and none can pretend to be the children of God who are not thus guided.”

III. Remember to be different! V20-23
cf 2 Cor. 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, The theological term is “sanctified.”
A. Building yourself is personal edification
Don’t put yourself down. False humility is negative arrogance.
B. Pray in the Spirit…
Bible Knowledge Commentary Praying in the Holy Spirit is not speaking in tongues, but is “praying out of hearts and souls that are indwelt, illuminated, and filled with the Holy Spirit” (George Lawrence Lawlor, Translation and Exposition of the Epistle of Jude, p. 127). It is praying in the power of the Holy Spirit
(cf. Eph. 6:18).
C. Keep in the love of God.
1. It literally means to guard by keeping your eyes fixed.
2. Peter would have continued walking on water had he kept his eyes on Jesus. We can walk on the waters in our lives if we will do the same.
D. Watch for Jesus’ return.
Paul told Titus (Titus 2:13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
E. Have compassion on some. Who? The false teachers.
1. For those that are saved, but wayward (carnal) - treat them as Jesus would with the goal of their restoration.
2. For those that are lost (apostate) - warn them of the fires of hell.
(a) Is Jude suggesting that it is alright to scare someone into Heaven? Absolutely! The thought of hell scared me; didn’t it you?

Conclusion: When seen in comparison, the life of a believer is much in contrast to that of a non- believer. On which side of the fence are you?

I hope you have a really great week. I hope you have more exciting things to do than a medical visit, but be thankful for our doctors, nurses, and medical people. Often they are the tool God uses to bring healing to our bodies. Stay safe and I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment