Monday, September 24, 2012

Heaven's Dictionary

Good Monday Morning To You! Welcome to the first full week of Autumn - or Fall as we always called it. Here in southwest Florida, it still seems like summer. Basically we only have two seasons; a hot summer, and a not so hot summer. Having been born and raised in southwest Ohio, I learned very quickly that I do not like cold, snow, or ice. To me, ice is what you use to drink a good cold glass of Pepsi. Other than chilling a drink, I see no beneficial reason for ice. As I read in my Bible about that celestial city, I see no mention of cold, ice, or snow. That tells me they are not there! That for me draws a loud, “Hallelujah!”

Speaking of Heaven, allow me a moment to tell you about a dream I once had. I dreamed I had entered the gates into Heaven. A very nice young man, who appeared to be in his early thirties, met me and led me to a building that looked like a library. He was wearing a crisp suit with a shirt and tie. His shoes were shined and looked to be new. He took me inside, and indeed it was a library. It was large and spacious, and he told me to be seated at a wooden table. On the table was a large book. He said, “Make yourself comfortable and feel free to browse through that book.” He then turned to leave and said, “I’ll be back shortly.”

The book looked like a dictionary, so I decided to look up some words that were familiar to me. I looked for “cancer.” It was not there. I looked for “death,” but again, it was not there. By this time, I decided to look for some Biblical words. I turned to the “S” section and looked for sin, sorrow, and Satan. Once again those words could not be found in that dictionary! I looked for “poverty“, “heartache“, and “war,” but once again, words that had been so much a part of my life were not there.

As I sat with a perplexed look on my face, my young guide came and sat at the table beside me. He said, “the words you are searching for cannot be found in this book. This is a dictionary of the words used here in Heaven. The former things are passed away and do not exist here.”

He took the book and told me to look. He opened it and I saw the word, “grace.” He turned further and there was the word, “mercy.” “Love” was there, as was “joy,” and “peace.” I saw the word, “blessing,” and “gentleness.” As a smile came across my face, I turned to speak to my new young friend. Suddenly he began to change right before my eyes. He had on a robe and sandals. He had a bright, yet peaceful glow about him. He held out his hands to me. They were nail scarred. It was Him! My guide was Jesus! It made perfect sense, because He had been since the day I received Him as my Lord and Savior. He said, “Forget those things which are behind. Behold, I make all things new.” He took me by the hand and said, “Follow me. I’m going to show you some things you never dreamed possible, and some people you haven‘t seen in a long while.”

I woke up at that moment, and never was able to finish my Heavenly tour. However, I was left with a peace that I could not put into words. I knew one day I would finish that tour. As a child of God, I have His assurance that this is so. The Bible says in 1 Cor. 2:9, “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” As the old song says, What a day, glorious day that will be.”

At Friend Harmony yesterday, we had a terrific day. The attendance was very good, and a warm loving spirit permeated the service. It started with our Sunday School lesson being led by one of my dearest friends in the ministry, Rabbi Jim Pickens. Rabbi Pickens is a retired messianic Rabbi, and is a true student of the word; I am blessed to be able to call him my friend. The song service was very uplifting. We are now singing to recorded CD’s, and that is working out quite well. I finished our Victorious People series with the message, “Victorious Over Sorrow.” I must admit, this was my favorite of the four. When I stop to think about how much our enemy, sorrow, torments us day and night, it’s enough to be depressing and cause more sorrow. Even Job said, “Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble.” (Job 14:1) However, as we also discovered, there is hope. Below are the notes. I hope they are a blessing to you.

Victorious Over Sorrow ©
Job 14:1
Victorious People Series 4 of 4 By Victor Cooper
9/19-22/12


Intro: In this four part series, we have examined how believers are victorious over Satan, sin, self, and sorrow. No believer needs to live a defeated life. We are a victorious people so lets start believing it and living it.

Our text verse from Job sounds bleak and hopeless,
but as we shall see, we can live with a foe that will
one day be eliminated!
.
I. Sorrow is inescapable. Psalm 38:17 For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me.
A. Sorrow is part of the curse. Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
B. A pop song from the 60’s said, “No where to run to, No where to hide.” This perfectly describes our relationship with sorrow.
C. The weeping prophet, Jeremiah lamented, “Why was I ever born? My entire life has been filled with trouble, sorrow, and shame. Jeremiah 20:18 NLT

II. Sorrow is hard to conquer. Proverbs 14:13 Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is heaviness.
A. Solomon is saying that even in the most joyous of times, sorrow is lurking just under the surface.
B. Our text verse says, “Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. Job 14:1
C. Sorrow is hard to conquer because it’s so consuming.
Psalm 102:4 My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread.
1. The psalmist might be saying, “I am consumed with sorrow to the point that I have lost my appetite and cannot eat.”
2. The psalmist might be saying, “I am consumed with sorrow to the point that I do not have time to eat.”
3. It is likely some of both!
Quote: “We must take time out to eat, sleep, work, and rest. Sorrow never takes a break. It’s a bit difficult to defeat an enemy like that, but it can be done!” Pastor Victor Cooper

III. Sorrow can be overcome. Psalm 22:26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
A. It involves praising the Lord in both good and bad circumstances.
B. It involves calling out to the Lord.
Psalm 25:16 Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
C. It involves an answer from the Lord. Isaiah 14:3 And it shall come to pass in the day that the Lord shall give thee rest from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve,
D. An answer is assured because, “God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.” 1 Cor. 1:9

IV. Sorrow will cease. John 16:22 And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.
A. Our victory over sorrow is assured because Jesus is the Great Overcomer.
John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Quote: Such a saying as this [John 16:33] is worthy to be carried from Rome to Jerusalem upon one’s knees. Martin Luther
B. Sorrow is the big loser! Rev. 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Conclusion: Take heart dear believer, our two greatest enemies, death and sorrow, will one day be triumphantly eliminated by our Lord, Jesus Christ!

Once again, I hope the notes are helpful to you. I believe the influence of Friendship Harmony reaches far beyond the shores of Pine Island, in Lee County, Florida. Let me make one quick announcement. Tomorrow (Tuesday) at 1:00 p. m. at The Island Grill, our ladies will have their luncheon. The Island Grill is located in the Winn Dixie Shopping Plaza on Stringfellow Road. If you are in the area, you are cordially invited. Sorry guys, its for ladies only. I tried once to claim executive privilege and crash the party, but my status impressed no one. I know you ladies will have a fine time. I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment