Sunday, September 9, 2012

Victory Over Sin

Good Monday Morning To You!!!
I’m excited! I have redeemed myself in the kitchen! Last week I lamented (that’s a theological word for weeped and wailed) over my Alfredo sauce failure in the kitchen. I know what happened: I was distracted by the phone, and got in a hurry. Be that as it may, I ventured into the kitchen with a new recipe; onion casserole. I have totally returned to my culinary expertise. My casserole was awesome! It was so good, that I’ll be taking it to Church next Sunday for Fellowship Dinner. I expect people will be lined up waiting for some. I think the ladies in the kitchen will have to ration it out so that everybody gets some. I was going to preach on gluttony this coming Sunday, but now I think I’ll not. Actually the upcoming message will be part three in a four part Victorious People series. The title is Victory Over Self. Now do you see where gluttony fits in?

Sunday was a tremendous day at Friendship Harmony. We’ve never had a “ho-hum” service, but some are exceptional. To me, yesterday was. The congregational singing was so joyous -- it made the preaching much easier. Currently, I am having to lead the singing and it is very hard for me. During Sunday’s service all I had to do was announce a page and the group simply took off and sang. Friendship Harmony can really sing! Someone asked me one day if we sang praise and worship songs. I replied that indeed we do. We sing the traditional, tried and true songs from the hymnal, and when we sing, we are praising and worshipping. I knew what the individual meant, but I wanted them to know that “praise and worship” is not a style of music, but is a heart response to considering the good things of God. The style of music is irrelevant. It can be traditional, modern, country, or even Gregorian chants. The point is what is in the heart of the one singing. If true love for Jesus is there, then it truly is praise and worship. Pray for our Church to be blessed with someone who would be willing to lead our music. It would add much to the service.

Yesterday’s message was Victory Over Sin. I mentioned three kinds of sin: sins of commission, sins of omission, and sins of ignorance. I stated that sins of ignorance were still sins that we are accountable for, but not necessarily rebellious. Sins of commission are the wrong things done, while sins of omission are the failure to do something. An example I used was borrowing money from a friend and promising to repay on a certain date then purposely not making good on that promise. That is not something you have done, but something you have omitted. Commission and omission are rebellious in that they are done purposely in plain sight of God.

The sermon notes are below and available for you to use for your personal Bible study, Sunday School or Small Group lesson. Preachers may also use these for their own sermon prep.

Victorious Over Sin ©
2 Cor. 2:14; Various
Victorious People Series 2 of 4 By Victor Cooper
9/6-8/12

Intro: In this four part series, we are going to see how believers are victorious over Satan, sin, self, and sorrow. No believer needs to live a defeated life. We are a victorious people so lets start believing it and living it.

In order to be victorious over sin,
One must first be victorious
Over Satan!

Definition: The underlying idea of sin is that of law and of a lawgiver. The lawgiver is God. Hence sin is everything in the disposition and purpose and conduct of God’s moral creatures that is contrary to the expressed will of God (Romans 3:20; Romans 4:15; Romans 7:7; James 4:12, 17).
The sinfulness of sin lies in the fact that it is against God, even when the wrong we do is to others or ourselves (Genesis 39:9; Psalm 51:4).
New Unger’s Bible Dictionary

I. You do not have to sin! 1 Cor. 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
A. You are not in this fight alone. “Common to man.”
B. God’s provision is three fold:
1. God is faithful; trustworthy. Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Conversation means lifestyle.
(a) When did God ever say this? In Joshua 1:5-6 God told Joshua, “There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. [6] Be strong and of a good courage…
2. He will not allow Satan to throw more at you than you can bear.
(a) David called the Lord his “Shield,” 14 different times in the book of Psalms.
(b) Solomon said, “…there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24
3. He will provide a way out; a way of deliverance.
(a) Some in Corinth were not looking for a way out -- they were looking for a way in!
(b) They desired the ease of indulgence rather than the trial of endurance.
(c.) They were looking for the justification of sin. The Bible never condones sin. Not ever!

II. We are a delivered people. That makes us a victorious people.
A. Scriptures deliver us from sin.
Psalm 17:4 / Psalm 119:11 Concerning the words of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer. / Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
B. The fear of God delivers us from sin.. Proverbs 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.
1. The problem with most believers is that they do not fear God. They see Him as a kindly old grandpa that wouldn’t lift His hand to anybody.
2. If you feared God, you would only do the sins of ignorance.
C. The Holy Spirit delivers us from sin.
John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
1. Reprove: convince, convict. This even brings the sins of ignorance to light.
D. Jesus delivers us from sin.
1 John 3:5,8 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. [8b] For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Conclusion: As believers we are victorious over sin because we are victorious over Satan. Now go out and live like a triumphant soldier, not a whipped pup.

I hope a great week ahead is planned for you. I trust you will do all you can to make it so. For those of you getting ready to come back to Florida, we’ll see you soon. Three of our folk are already back, and we are looking forward to seeing the rest of you soon. Until then I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment