Sunday, June 22, 2014

This One Takes The Cake!!!

Good Monday Morning To You11

Thank you for taking the time to read the blog. I hope it is a blessing to you. As you know, Friendship Harmony has an e-mail address for your convenience. It is fhbcsjc@gmail.com. You are encouraged to contact us with prayer requests, questions, or comments.

I received this question the other day. “When did you enter the ministry, and what is the strangest thing you have seen?” To begin with, I announced my calling into the ministry in April of 1972 at my home church, Grace Missionary Baptist Church in Norwood, Ohio. In June of that same year, I preached my first sermon. That also was at Grace. I have been preaching for forty two years, and it seems like just yesterday.

As for the strangest thing I have seen in church work, my mind goes back to 1982 in Carlisle, Ohio. The “event” did not happen to me, but I was in the congregation and saw it all.

I’ll not name the church, but it was very large, and was having revival services. The evangelist was a man I knew, and had a great deal of respect for, Orville Griffin. Brother Griffin would go on to become The Executive Director of The State Convention of Baptists In Ohio. On this particular night, Brother Griffin preached the paint off the wall. To say it was powerful would be an understatement. When the invitation was given, many responded to the call to Christ. The altar was full, and more were coming.

Suddenly the pastor walked to the microphone and said, “We’re going to have to stop this for the moment. We forgot to receive our evening offering. We’ll get back to the invitation after the offering is taken.” I glanced over at Brother Griffin, and he was stunned. I had never seen such a look of utter disbelief on another person’s face.

The offering was taken, then the pastor walked back to the pulpit, called the musicians back, and announced that the invitation would continue. No one else came forward. The invitation was dead. The Holy Spirit had departed. That was, I believe, the strangest thing I have ever witnessed in forty two years of ministry. I do not know what happened in the pastor’s office when he and Brother Griffin talked, but I imagine it wasn’t pretty. Orville Griffin preached for me several years later, and I would never have considered a stunt like that. He and I never discussed the incident - it was better left in the past!

Yesterday was a good day at Friendship Harmony. The attendance wasn’t bad considering this time of year, and I enjoyed the service. I believe others did as well. The message was from Psalm 17, and was titled “Praying Believing.” In that short 15 verse Psalm, David exhibited praying, and believing he had God’s full attention. This is also called confidence. The notes are below, and the video should be ready by Tuesday morning. You can see the video by going to www.facebook.com/friendshipharmony. Remember, you do not have to have a Facebook account, but if you do, be sure to “like” our page.

Praying Believing!! ©
Psalm 17:Selected
By Victor Cooper
06/21/14

Intro: Jesus taught us in Matthew 21:22 “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. ‘ an unbelieved prayer is a waste of breath.

I. David prayed approaches God. V.1
A. “Hear the right.” v1 i.e. the righteous one
1. Claiming to be righteousness is not an arrogant claim.
2. It is an honest understanding of one’s position before God.“Hear the right.”
v1 i.e. the righteous one
B. “Attend unto my cry”
1. Attend - pay attention
2. Cry - loud shout of grief
C. “ear unto my prayer”
1. Prayer - Supplication i.e. “to ask a favor.”
D. “ not out of feigned lips’
“LORD, I’m being absolutely honest with you”
Psalm 17:1 (NLT)
O Lord, hear my plea for justice. Listen to my cry for help. Pay attention to my prayer, for it comes from an honest heart.

II. David declared to God that he had been tested. V.3
A. He is telling God, but not in an informative way.

III. Belief and confidence are displayed.
A. v6 “I called and you heard.”
B. v15 “I will be satisfied” - filled to satisfaction

IV. David’s petition v7,8
A. v7 -- “Show to me all that you show to all who have trusted in You.”
1. It is a reasonable request which will be granted; not just answered, but granted.
Peter said in Acts 10:34, “Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:”
B. v8 -- The apple of the eye; i.e. the pupil, that part that sees.
Adam Clarke Commentary - “Take as much care to preserve me now by Divine influence, as thou hast to preserve my eye by thy good providence. Thou hast entrenched it deeply in the skull; hast ramparted it with the forehead and cheek-bones; defended it by the eyebrow, eyelids, and eyelashes; and placed it in that situation where the hands can best protect it.”
C. Hide me under the shadow of thy wings.
Illustration Pictures a hen sheltering her chicks.
Lesson--- When the lady touched the hem of Christ’s garment, she touched the fringes of His prayer shawl. These fringes were called “wings.” She understood and believed the Malachi 4:2 which said, “But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.”

Thanks for spending this time with me. Remember, if you have a question or a prayer request, be sure to write. I enjoy getting to talk to you, but I equally like you talking back. Have a good week. I’ll see you at the video tomorrow, and again next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment