Monday, August 30, 2010

Lets talk about adversity.

Good Monday Morning to you. Pour yourself a cup of coffee, pull up a chair and lets visit. It sure has been rainy here. The first part of the week I felt like the entire Gulf of Mexico came in on us. Things seem to be drying out now.

I thought my car trouble was past, but once again it is acting up. The intake manifold is indeed fixed, but now I’m told that with all the standing water that car has had to drive through, water has reached places its not supposed to reach. Its something to do with wires and converters and such. I’m a preacher, not a mechanic, so I’m past understanding it all. My mechanic, Carl Humphries, is a good mechanic, a good friend, and a decent and honorable man. If he tells you something about your car, you can believe him. I’d like to sell my car and buy a horse, but it would probably pull up lame.

My son Kevin was home this past week. We had not seen him since April. As you know, he is an over the road trucker, and he loves it. I hated it rained the whole time he was here, but it was a good visit. He came home to take a test for more endorsements which will allow him more varied kinds of loads. He now has all endorsements available except his “P” endorsement which stands for passengers. He does not transport people, so he really does not need that one anyway. He will be working his way up to Chicago to trade trucks, then out on the road again.. I went with him last year for a ride and hope to do it again. Contrary to what Bill Wolfe says, I climed up and down in and out of that cab like a monkey. The agility and dexterity I possessed amazed everyone!

The Sunday morning message was called, “Dealing With Adversity.”
We all deal with adverse situations, but thankfully the Lord has given us a way to deal with it in His word. We had super attendance on Sunday and I could really feel the freedom of the Spirit. It has been many months since I felt such freedom to preach. I’m sure it had much to do with the fact that everyone there was in one mind and one accord. The sermon notes are printed here for your personal Bible study.

Dealing With Adversity
By Victor Cooper
08/28/10

Intro: “Into every life some rain must fall” the old saying goes. A gentle spring shower is one thing, but a wicked thunderstorm is quite another. The Bible teaches us how to deal with the torrential downpours.

1 Samuel 24:7
So David stayed his servants with these words, and suffered them not to rise against Saul.

I. Step back.
A. Sometime a delay is better than an attack.
1. David could have killed Saul.
B. An attack was not the Lord’s will.
1. David respected Saul’s position as the anointed of God. (v6)
C. Stepping back allows one to see the entire picture.
D. Stepping back allowed Saul to acknowledge David was to be God’s next anointed. (v20)

Exodus 14:13
And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day…


II. Slow down.
A. Wait! Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
1. Waiting: two definitions
A1. Serving
B2. Delaying movement
B. Jeremiah encouraged it. Lamentations 3:25,26
The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. 26 It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.
C. Moses demanded it. (from Exodus 14:13)
1. Do not be afraid;
then
2. stand still;
then
3. see God’s deliverance.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

III. Follow Jesus.
A. Deny yourself.
1. Jesus is Lord --- I’m not.
2. It’s all about Him, not me.
B. Take up your cross.
1. Crosses are no fun.
2. Who wants one?
3. More often than not thet are thrust upon us.
C. Follow me.
1. You cannot follow Christ without first denying self and taking up your cross --- in that order.

Conclusion: All of us deal with adverse situations from time to time. Remember: step back, slow down, and follow Jesus.

The notes did not transfer as cleanly as I would have liked, but I believe Michele has a plan to fix that. I think the plan is to post the notes in a separate secttion of the blog. We'll let you know more about that when the glitch is fixed.

I do hope you have a very good week. My thanks to the many of you who have written or called expressing your support during this troubling time my family and I are experiencing. The enemy is mighty, but God is almighty, so I plan to continue looking to Him. There is no adversity too strong to stand against my Lord. Please continue to pray for our family, and for all who were at the service yesterday. Next week’s message is entitled, “Together In The Boat.“ Stay safe and well and I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment