Monday, October 18, 2010

Heart problems!

Good Monday Morning To You!

What a glorious day we had in church yesterday! The Lord has provided us with a new family who is very eager to serve Him and use their talents for His glory. Their talents? She is a keyboardist and excellent soloist, and he is a music director who has served on staff in that capacity in Texas. He also is an excellent trumpet player. We thank the Lord for sending Ken and Margaret our way! The Lord has been so good to us. How do I thank Him enough? I’ll just live my life in accordance to His word and be obedient --- I believe He will accept that along with my praises toward Him as thanks enough.

Have you had a good and healthy week? I do hope so. My wife, Miss Bessie, had surgery this past Thursday. Her Doctor, Thomas Carrasquillo, a fine Christian man and an excellent surgeon to several in our Church, myself included, thought due to her lungs that she might have to spend one or two nights in the hospital. This was her third surgery in the past seven months. The first was in Hollywood, Florida. She had a ventral hernia with bowel strangulation. As you might recall, she had a tough time with that one resulting in a second surgery in Naples, Florida. We thought the problem was fixed, but she had to go again for more repair and mesh insertion. She did so well that she was discharged the same day. She is awfully sore, but she says each day is a little better and she seems to be mending fine. Thank you for your prayers for her.

Have you ever visited a doctor known as a cardiologist? If you have, you know he or she specializes in that blood pumping muscle known as the heart. Kardia is the Greek word for heart. The Bible has much to say about man’s heart. By that I do not mean the blood pumping muscle, although even that is referred to in Scriptures. Often in Scriptures the heart means the totality of man’s entire self. Before the flood, the Bible tells us in Genesis 6:5 “And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” First we note that God saw. Sin is not hidden from Him. However, from a closer look at this verse we see that man did not attempt to hide his sin. He performed it openly in God’s sight. This is the grossest form of sin known as rebellion. Man had stepped beyond the boundaries of total depravity; he had become absolutely depraved. Absolute depravity is a theological term which means “without the ability of performing or being good.” The only fix was a flood. You might say God used a flood to wash away the sin!

God started over with Noah, Mrs. Noah, and their three sons and daughters in law. However, the Bible teaches us that man is no better today. From Acts 28:27 we read, “For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.” The phrase waxed gross comes from the Greek pachyno, and means to thicken, ie calloused. This heart, ear, and eye problem did not come as the result of an illness, it came by choice. We see it once again: rebellion. As in the pre-flood days, God needed to send something to wash away man’s sin. My former Pastor, B. J. Thomas, used to say, “The only known antidote to sin is the blood of Jesus Christ.” He preached that all his ministry, died believing it, and was ushered into the presence of God due to it. The old song says, "What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus!"

Jesus taught in the Sermon on thye Mount, “Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8) Man’s heart must be right with God before he can be accepted by our Lord. Six years ago I was feeling poorly, and knew something was wrong. I went to my doctor who did an EKG then immediately had his office make me an appointment to see a heart doctor. After several tests, it was discovered that my heart was in need of repair. I went to the heart surgeon and the necessary repairs were made. We do those things to not only live, but to have a good quality of life. This is just as necessary in the spiritual world My cardiologist, Dr. Kenneth Towe, said that with my heart there was only one surgeon he wanted me to see. I can remember him saying, “If there is going to be a problem in the operating room, Dr. Hummel is who you want to be in there with you. If you were my father, I’d send you to no one but him.” When I needed a spiritual heart transplant, there was only One qualified to perform the operation: Dr. Jesus.

What is the condition of your heart? Do you know? I have regular tests done to see my heart’s condition, but is there a test for a spiritual heart check-up? Most definitely there is and it can be found in Matthew 6:21, and can be self administered. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” I ask you, what things do you value? What and where are your priorities? The answer to these questions goes a long in determining the condition of your heart. For example, do you have a nice bank account? Perhaps you are a millionaire. If so, thank God for the blessing. Having money is not a sin. However, loving it is. It indicates a wrong priority - that is a heart problem. Are you famous to the point that many folk recognize your picture or your name? Fame, like money, is not a sin; it all depends on what you do with it and how you achieved it. Osama bin Laden is recognized by millions, but then again, so is Billy Graham. Which would you prefer as your next door neighbor? This kind of heart problems is not exclusive to the rich and famous. This is not a “their problem.” It is an “our problem.” What do you value?

I preached this message at Church yesterday, and I hope it has helped you, too. Thank you for allowing me this time to visit. Believe me when I tell you I enjoy our time. Have a good, safe and healthy week ahead, and I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment