Monday, December 17, 2012

My Promise To God

Good Monday Morning To You! I told you last week that we failed at our dry run video test, but that we would try again. Yesterday, I believe we had a success. My colleague and good friend, Rabbi Jim Pickens, came and helped us with the camera. Rabbi Pickens, who accepts Jesus as the Messiah, had a successful career with Technicolor, the maker of motion pictures. He was able to teach us about lighting, and proper camera angles. He also had understanding about how the camera actually operated. Rabbi Pickens, along with Jim Cook, a member of our church who has been working with and learning our camera, worked the camera yesterday. Bro. Cook has not yet called me to let me know what our end result was, but as soon as I know, I’ll let you know. If we are able to get it onto “Youtube,” I’ll send out a special edition of this blog to inform you.

Last week I told you about my call to the ministry, so today I’ll take it one step further by telling you why I preach like I do. When I first started preaching, I was a “hell fire and brimstone, pulpit banging, spit slinging, stomping, snorting fireball” who was all over the place. I was like a pistol firing blanks -- plenty of noise with nothing being shot. I was preaching in Midland, Ohio one Sunday night and I hit the pulpit so hard I split it. I preached that way for a few years and boy could I ever stir up a crowd. The problem was I stirred the crowd, not the Holy Spirit. It was all emotionalism; all noise and no substance.

One weekend I was visiting family in Louisville, Kentucky, and two Mormon Missionaries stopped by for a visit. We had a lively discussion for about an hour. The Mormons finally concluded that the young preacher they were trying to convert was not going to join them. As they were preparing to leave, one of them turned to me and said, “We get most of our converts from the Baptist Church. Most Baptists know just enough about their own religion to be confused.” I made God a promise that night. I told Him that maybe they did get their converts from the Baptist Church, but they weren’t going to get them from mine, at least not from a lack of teaching. I have endeavored to keep that promise over the years, and I have learned that the power is in the message, not the messenger. I have settled down so that the attention is on Christ, not on me. I use many Scriptures when I preach because I want the people to know what God said, not Vic Cooper. Whether you hear a live message from me, hear it over the internet, (hopefully soon) or read the sermon notes, I want you to learn something so that you can grow in your Christian faith. I believe this is what I was put on this earth to do. Please don’t think me arrogant or pompous, but I believe that not only was I called to preach, but I was born to preach. This is certainly Biblical. God told Jeremiah, “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5) I also believe pastors should be teachers. Ephesians 4:11 says, “And He gave some… pastors and teachers. This is not two distinct offices, but two aspects of the same office.

Yesterday was a great day at Friendship Harmony. We had several families out of town for Christmas, but the attendance was still good and we had visitors. As good as that is, of even greater news, one of our members was able to lead a husband and wife in the community to a saving faith in Christ. Reports like this always make a preacher’s day! Below are the sermon notes from the third in a four part series called “The Advent Contrast.” Yesterday we learned that at Christ’s first coming, Christmas, He came for the lowest. At His second coming, the rapture, He will come for the highest. Who are these people? Read and study the sermon notes; the answers are there. Hopefully, by mid week, you will be able to open our page in Youtube and hear the message as it was delivered yesterday, December 16, 2012.

The Advent Contrast ©
Various Scripture
12/12-15/12
Advent Series 3 of 4 By Victor Cooper

Intro: Occasionally you will hear the word “advent” used as a synonym of the birth of Christ. This is known as Christ’s first advent. Likewise, His second coming is sometime called the second advent. During each, Christ’s coming is for a specific group. Christ’s first advent was for the least, the last, the lowest, and the lost. By contrast, at His second advent He is coming for the greatest, the first, the highest, and the found,

I. Man was created in an exalted state.
Genesis 2:7-9 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. [8] And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. [9] And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
A. Adam’s sin caused him to plunge mankind into the lowest state possible Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

II. The lowest are called “afflicted.” Psalm 18:27a For thou wilt save the afflicted people……
A. “Afflicted --- from a Hebrew word meaning depressed in mind or circumstances; lowly, needy, poor.
B. Afflicted by whom?
1. The tempter
2. Man’s own self will
3. The curse

III. It was God who stripped man of his high estate, and made him low. Psalm 55:23a But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction…
A. Low is good, because in his lowest state, man can be helped. Psalm 116:6 The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.
1. Remember, at His first coming, Christ came for those in a low state.
B. God is a good and merciful God.
Psalm 136:1;23 O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. [23] Who remembered us in our low estate: for his mercy endureth for ever:

IV. Christ’s first coming was for the “low.”
1 Cor. 1:28a And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen…:

V. At His second coming, Christ is coming for those of high estate.
Psalm 18:33 He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
A. Psalm 69:29 says God’s salvation sets us on high.
B. Psalm 91 teaches that God’s love was placed upon us to deliver us, and set us on high.

As always, I hope the notes are a blessing to you as you study God’s word. Have a good and a safe week, and contrary to what the Mayan calendar says, I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment