Sunday, December 9, 2012

Reflections

Good Monday Morning To You!

Lately, I have been reflecting on my forty years in the ministry. It was April of 1972 when I accepted God’s call to preach. I remember it like it was yesterday. For quite a while, though I do not remember how long, I had felt like God was calling me. One evening before revival services were to begin, I asked my pastor, Brother David Miller, “How does a man know if he’s being called to preach?” I thought he would take me into his office, sit me down, and open his Bible and show me appropriate passages. He didn’t! He simply turned to me and said, “Son, if God’s calling, you’ll know it.”

Soon the service started. When the evangelist, John Turner began to preach, he and I might as well have been in that auditorium by ourselves. He was preaching to me! When the invitation was given, Bro. Miller stood at the altar to receive anyone who came forward. Before the first verse ended, I walked the aisle and my very words to our pastor was, “Brother Miller, I know.” I don’t recall what happened next, but Bro. Miller had me to stand down front. He told the congregation after the dismissal prayer, to come by and tell me they would be praying for me. Then Bro. Miller caught me completely off guard. He said, “Cooper, you’d might as well get used to speaking before people. You dismiss us in prayer.” I was scared to death, but what else could I do? I privately breathed my first "Jesus help me" prayer. Then I dismissed in prayer.

I still get a bit nervous when I stand before a group. It happens when I am making the announcements and greetings. However, when I take my Bible into the pulpit to preach, I am empowered, and absolutely at peace. I have no fear. I know the Holy Spirit is with me, and that angels are encamped around me. Next week, the LORD willing, I’ll tell you about my early days of ministry. I had more fun than Pete Rose on a head first slide!

Services today were absolutely fantastic at Friendship Harmony. The singing was great, and the attendance was good. After the service was over, we had our annual soup, salad, and dessert fellowship. Good service! Good fellowship! Good food! There was nowhere I would rather have been than Friendship Harmony yesterday.

Before I share the sermon notes with you, I’d like to give you an update on the video ministry. We met with a gentleman last week who has his own computer business. He taught us much, but said we’d need to meet again. He explained that the first meeting was instructional. When we meet him again in about two weeks, our learning will be hands on. Yesterday we videotaped the message, but it did not record. We’ll try again next week. We definitely have some learning to do.

I preached part two in a four part series titled, “The Advent Contrast.” The contrast concerns who Christ came for at His first coming, and who He will come for at His second coming - specifically, the Rapture. In this week’s message, we learned that at His first coming, Christmas, Christ came for those who were “the last.” We contrasted that with who He will come for when He appears again; “the first.” Three examples were cited where the last became the first. The notes are below. I hope they are a blessing to you.

The Advent Contrast ©
Mark 10:31
11/29/12; 12/8/12
Advent Series 2 of 4 By Victor Cooper

Intro: Occasionally you will hear the word “advent” used as a synonym of the birth of Christ. This is known as Christ’s first advent. Likewise, His second coming is sometime called the second advent. During each, Christ’s coming is for a specific group. Christ’s first advent was for the least, the last, the lowest, and the lost. By contrast, at His second advent He is coming for the greatest, the first, the highest, and the found,

Today we look at some of the last which were made first.

I. Isaac
A. He was the last son of Abraham.
B. His half brother, Ishmael, was already a teen.
C. Ishmael had been circumcised.
1. This is significant in that Ishmael received the sign of the covenant, making him covenant related.
D. God’s promised child was to Abraham and Sarah, not Abraham and Hagar. Why?
1. Isaac’s birth was supernatural; Ishmael’s was not.
2. The beginnings of the Children of Israel was of God, not man.
3. This paints a picture of the coming birth of the Messiah.

II. Jacob
A. He was the second born of twins.
B. He and his brother’s birth (Esau) was supernatural.
1. This is significant in that both boys could be in line to bring about the Messiah.
C. God tells Jacob the lineage would continue through him.
cf. Genesis 28
1. The last became first!

III. The Church at Smyrna --- Revelation 2:8-11
A. In a city of great wealth, this church was in poverty.
Example
Picture two beggars living in a back alley. Both have to beg for the food they eat. One has a cardboard box to sleep in at night, while the other sleeps on the bare ground. The latter would picture the church at Smyrna.
B. Jesus told them they were rich where it counted --- with Him.
C. Their birth, too, was supernatural as is every believer’s.
Ephes. 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Conclusion: As we saw last week, all sinners are the least in the eyes of God. They are also last. However, last is not bad, last is good, because Christ came for the last to make them the first.

Have a good and a safe week. If you should happen to be here on Pine Island on December 24, join us for our annual Christmas eve service. It will be at 6:00 pm at the church. If you need directions, call or write and I’d be happy to give you that information. I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment