Monday, April 22, 2013

Assurance During Evil

Good Monday Morning To You!

In this issue, I must confess to having a heavy heart. Bess and I were deeply saddened by the events in Boston this past week. When I was a boy growing up in the mid fifties and sixties, I never dreamed of something like this happening right here in our cities. I would have told you that you were preaching science fiction to me if you said in my lifetime I would see a pressure cooker being used as a bomb in Boston, or jet liners deliberately being slammed into skyscrapers in New York City, or farm grade fertilizer taking down a federal building in Oklahoma City. Certainly we live in a world gone mad! Let us not assume that incidents of this nature are part of a vicious cycle that will eventually phase itself out. Let us not assume that if we live in small cities or in rural areas, we are safe from things like this. Think again!

With acts like these, where is the logic in it all? The sad answer is there is no logic. Remember, pure evil has no logic. The police, the F.B.I. and other policing agencies spend many hours trying to figure out who is behind these cowardly deeds, and well they should. However, at the core of it all is an enemy called, “evil,” and her master is Satan.

The prophet Jeremiah addressed the issue of evil more than 2600 years ago. He said, “And ye have done worse than your fathers; for, behold, ye walk every one after the imagination of his evil heart, that they may not hearken unto me: “ Jeremiah 16:12 (KJV)

Jeremiah points out two problems. The first is that everyone follows after the imagination of their own evil heart. The Hebrew word for imagination has the idea of being twisted. Their hearts, minds, and therefore their actions were twisted. To be twisted is the exact polar opposite of being logical. Evil comes from a twisted heart. Theologians call this “depravity.” Depravity simply means being dead and totally devoid of God. Does this sound remarkably modern? It absolutely describes many today. There is no rhyme, nor reason to evil. It is too twisted, therefore those who follow after it are depraved, twisted, and devoid of God.

Jeremiah also says they will not pay attention to God. People are not only not hearing, but refusing to listen; a deliberate, willful rebellion. Whenever one refuses to follow the wise counsel of God, disaster is as sure to follow as darkness follows the sunset.

Jeremiah says that as a result, the people of his day were worse than the generations before them. As I look around, I see our world situation getting worse, not better.

My point has been, do not try to make sense out of senselessness: it is unquestionably impossible. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, He has the solution for you. He said in Luke 21:28 “And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.” If you are not a follower of Jesus, it’s still true nevertheless. As I told the people at Friendship Harmony yesterday, when the time of great tribulation comes upon this earth, and we are certainly marching toward it, things like Boston, 9-11, and Oklahoma City will seem very tame. I know what some of you might be thinking. You are thinking Pastor Vic is a prophet of doom. If you are lost and outside the communion of Christ, then yes, I’m a prophet of doom. You are on a wide road that leads to destruction: doomsday according to Matthew 7:13.

The only way to deal with the senseless tragedies of our day is to have a relationship with Christ. He is the only way to receiving that true inner peace and comfort. Listen to the words of Jesus. “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 14:27; John 16:33

If I can ever be of help to you in your spiritual walk with the Lord, or if you’d like to know more about how you can have a personal, one - on - one relationship with Jesus, contact me at fhbcsjc@gmail.com, or preachercooper@hotmail.com.

I know today’s visit has been a bit long, but I wanted you to know even though sense cannot be found at this time, comfort can. I’ll return with a special edition on Tuesday. Be sure to visit the video ministry at www.youtube.com. From their homepage type in Friendship Harmony Baptist Church and hit enter. Then click on the name of our church and select the video you’d like to see. Sunday’s message should be ready by later today, or early Tuesday.

Thanks for being a loyal reader and a dear friend. I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic. ™
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment