Monday, April 29, 2013

Thinking Back!!!

Good Monday Morning To You!

The other day somebody asked me about the most memorable service I had ever been part of. To be honest, there have been many fine services over my past 41 years of ministry. It is always such a joy when you can sense the presence of the Lord. It is especially thrilling to see someone come forward and trust Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

I can actually think of two services that stand out for me. Both were while I was pastor at Calvary Baptist, Cincinnati. It was a Sunday night, and the attendance was pretty good. We often had more on Sunday night than on Sunday morning. I was preaching from Ezekiel 37 about the dry bones. I had made the statement about God causing flesh and life to return to a bunch of dead, dusty, dried-up old bones. I preached that God did not say, “Any of you bones who would like to receive life, come stand by me.” I said God made the choice and moved them. Suddenly a young man in his mid twenties jumped out of his seat and ran to the altar begging God for mercy. One thing I have learned over the years is that the Holy Spirit does not follow our printed bulletins. He was working on that boy and the young man had the good sense to respond when God called. I gladly stopped the message and counseled him at the altar. That night the young man not only had his sins forgiven, but he was also delivered from an addiction to alcohol. I wonder about him from time to time. My prayer is that he is still following Christ. When I left Cincinnati sixteen years ago, he was doing well.

The other service was at that same church. Again it was a Sunday night and the auditorium was nearly full. As our family got to the church, I noticed the storm clouds brewing. I was preaching from the Book of Jonah, and as preachers tend to do, I got excited and raised my voice. I raised my right hand into the air and at that point a bolt of lightning hit very near the church. The building shook, the lights went out, and kids and teens ran to their parents. We allowed them to sit together as long as they behaved, which they always did. I overheard one teenage girl ask my daughter, Amanda, “How did your dad do that?” I do not remember how that service ended, but I know it sure was an exciting one!

Speaking of exciting, yesterday was awesome at Friendship Harmony. The attendance was very good and we had several visitors. Lately I have been challenging our congregation to invite people to church and many are. I told them if they wanted their church to grow, do something about it. Invite! Several of the visitors were there because someone invited them. Let me challenge you, too. Love your church. Be proud of it. Invite, Invite, Invite!!! It works. Even if those you invite do not come, the LORD will send someone. God blesses effort.

Below are the sermon notes for the final message in the series, “Coming With His Coming.” I hope they are a blessing to you The message will be on YouTube tomorrow. You can get to it by going to www.youtube.com. From their home page, type in Friendship Harmony Baptist Church and hit enter. Then click on our icon and scroll to the video you’d like to see. This latest one is called, “The Coming Delight.”

Coming With His Coming
1 Corinthians 2:9
Second Coming Series 4 of 4 By Victor Cooper
April 25, 2013

Intro: The Bible clearly affirms in many passages that Jesus is coming again. What happens with that coming?

#4 The Coming Delight

I. The delight of life. John 10:10b …I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
A. We have the delight of this life.
Abundant> perrisos’> superabundant in quantity; superior in quality; excessive by implication.
1. It is superabundant in that it is for the here and now as well as the hereafter for believers.
2. The unsaved receive eternal death as we saw last week.
3. It is superior in quality because it is made by the Father, brought by the Son, and directed by the Spirit.
B. We have the delight of the life to come.
Rev. 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

II. The delight of sinlessness. Rev. 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
A. It is the third part of sanctification.
1. I have been saved - from sin’s penalty.
2. I am being saved - from sin’s power.
3. I will be saved - from sin’s presence.
Remember: In Heaven you will not remember sin, sinning, nor sinners. Isaiah 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

III. The delight of understanding the mystery.
A. “Mystery” defined. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
-- “…a secret imparted only to the initiated, what is unknown until it is revealed, whether it be easy or hard to understand.”
B. The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary - “The NT use of the term “mystery” has reference to some operation or plan of God hitherto unrevealed. It does not carry the idea of a secret to be withheld, but of one to be published (1 Cor. 4:1).
C. Revelation withheld. Rev. 10:4 And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.
D. Revelation revealed. Psalm 25:14 The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.
Bible Knowledge Commentary Here David described a person who fears the LORD: he is one in whom the LORD confides by revealing His covenant to him (v. 14) and instructing him (v. 12b; cf. vv. 4-5, 8-9). These statements remind the reader of the Wisdom literature, especially Proverbs. A person who fears the Lord (Prov. 1:7; 9:10; 15:33; 31:30) is instructed by the Lord’s Word.

IV. The delight of being His bride.
A. This is one of the mysteries. Ephes. 5:28-32 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. [29] For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: [30] For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. [31] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. [32] This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
B. The bride receives the most beautiful wedding creation has ever see. Rev. 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
C. His bride will rule with Him. Rev. 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
1. Key: “… reign for ever and ever.”
2. This is one marriage that will not end in divorce.

I hope you have a blessed, safe, and healthy week. I always enjoy our visits together --- I hope you do too. May the LORD bless you and I’ll see you next Monday Morning With Pastor Vic!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment